18 February 2015

Beau Ford's Striped Side Cupboard



This gorgeous sideboard is the last project from Beau Ford's three months as a Painter in Residence. Beau's neighbour in rural Australia inherited the cupboard from her Grandfather and had been storing it in her shearing shed. Beau cleaned off the cupboard and used my paint, Chalk Paint®, to create a refreshed modern piece – a lot more fitting for the hip, growing family farmhouse that it was returning to.

Beau used a palette of Antibes Green, Duck Egg Blue and Coco to create the base block colours. The mustard yellow is a mix of English Yellow, with a spot of Emperor's Silk and Coco. Beau told me she seems to go the long-way round to find her perfect mixes – but I love her playful experimentation with mixing colours. It's something I always encourage!

The triangle pattern that runs vertically down the front of the cupboard has been hand-painted in Greek Blue using a very small artist's brush. The whole piece has been finished using my Clear Wax to protect the surface and make it wipeable.


I hope you've enjoyed following Beau's residency and feel inspired by her playful and bright projects. Later this week, I will be introducing you to my next set of three Painters in Residence, so keep your eyes peeled!


Yours, Annie


Follow Beau on InstagramFacebook, and her blog: http://drip-designsfurniture.blogspot.com.au

And remember to follow #PaintersInResidence on Instagram and Facebook, as well as my Painters in Residence board on Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I see that this piece has a lot of water rings/stains. What is the best way to treat them? I've tried with two coats of paint and they're still visible.
    Thanks and warm greetings from Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alejandra, I would dust a little pale/ clear knotting solution or shellac over the stains – this should block the stains. Just paint over this and the marks should disappear.

      Delete